Hip Replacement at 33

If you read my last blog, you know a bit of the back story on my hip and how I got to the point of needing a hip replacement! If you didn’t, you need to go read it to catch up 😂😂

J/K – I will give you the brief run down….

In junior high I rode horses and was in cheer! I failed to stretch before cheering one day and thought that I pulled a muscle going into the splits. Did I rest or go to the doctor? No. Did I continue horseback riding, doing barn work and cheering? Yes.

Fast forward to January 2019 (more years than I wish to admit). I now have bone spurs, a broken hip (I fell on the ice) and a joint that is partially dying. I can’t walk without limping, if at all! Some days it’s so terrible that I can’t. I am told that the only way to rectify it is to have a full hip replacement. Soooo, April 1, 2019 I had my first hip replacement.

 Let’s talk about the surgery. I don’t know why I expected to go into surgery and die on the table, but I totally did! 😂🤦🏼‍♀️ I am always super sensitive to anesthesia and warned the anesthesiologist, but I still had complications. I woke up so sick, like puking in a bag over and over for hours sick. A few hours after surgery they started rcoming in and trying to get you out of bed and moving. Well I was so sick I could barely sit up so I pretended to be sleeping all day so they would leave me alone. I finally got them to up my zofran and immediately was a different person! I felt alive again and was able to sit up and even stand up (with help obviously…photo above is the first one of my standing after surgery. Payton helped me out of bed)

Did I expect to be totally unable to lift my leg, move it or stand up on my own? No. I expected to be in pain and not be able to walk, but I didn’t expect to need help to the bathroom or even sliding my leg out of the bed. I stayed one night in the hospital. I had constant help and annoyances. The  morning after the surgery,  I was helped out of bed and was able to walk 2 laps with my walker and my belt on, just to be safe!

They were so impressed since most hip replacement recipients are older and couldn’t move around as much as I was or as quickly! Here I thought I should be moving more and they thought I was basically breaking records! 
Once we got home, I don’t know what I would have done without my mom there watching the kids and Payton off of work to help me. He had to buy me a raised toilet seat and even then, he had to pick me up and put me on the toilet. I was so proud of myself when I was able to cling to his neck and sit down. Small steps, but I felt accomplished. 
The first 4-5 days was horrible. I didn’t want to move and couldn’t. Payton had to slide my leg out of the bed to the floor and pick it up to get back into bed. I couldn’t get food, go anywhere without my walker or spend much time with my kids at all (note that Rhett’s 1st birthday was April 5). 
By day 5ish, I was able to slide my leg on and pick it up myself and put it on the bed on my own. I was still a bit iffy on the bathroom alone and had to be totally assisted in the shower, by the improvement was so drastic and amazing. I took pain killers the first night home and the next morning and never again. I hate the way they make me feel and am more of a suck it up type of gal. The pain didn’t seem bad enough for me to need more.
Let’s talk about the next few weeks. I was slowly able to do more and more. By the end of the first week, I was tired of bed and wanted out. I convinced Payton to take me furniture shopping with the assistance of my walker 😂! The looks I got were embarrassing, but it was amazing to move around! By 4 weeks, I was able to do just about anything without walker or cane! I was feeling so good! 

So here we are now, not much further, but much more mobile. I am just over 2 months post op. My hip feels great, I am even working out. My biggest complaint and complication is residual hives. I have never had a hive issue in my life. Ever since surgery, I have been getting them several times a week. I have seen the primary care and surgeon, even and ER dr for a rash that resembled cellulitis. No one knows what it is or why I am getting it, I was referred over to an allergist and will hopefully have answers soon! I have my first hike (flat and easy) planned for mid June! We are going to hike our favorite hike – West Fork Trail In Sedona!!

I will keep you guys posted on how the rest of my recovery and hives information as I get them!!

Published by Not Ur Average Mom Of 5

Most importantly, I am a mother of 5. I don't have your typical happily ever after family. I am divorced (one of those nasty messy ones), I have way too many bills (don't we all) and I really don't have any interesting hobbies (wasn't always that way, I grew up riding horses) I am in a relationship with the love of my life and my happily ever after. He is the most amazing and loving person I have ever met. Payton deals with my crazy life and family and embraces is with so much love and support. He is the BEST dad and father figure I know). He is an Engineer for our local fire department and that is HARD. I honestly am so proud of him and so proud of what he does BUT I HATE his job, I hate nights away and I hate the time it takes from our family. People don't realize how difficult it is. At the end of the day, I am so thankful for him and our life together, I can't wait to spend forever with him. My kids....they are terrorists. Seriously. I grew up as an only girl out of 4 total kids. I always wanted 4 kids - 2 girls and 2 boys. Well, the big man upstairs had other plans! I am bless with one daughter and four sons. My daughter is the oldest. Makenzee Adele is 11, going on 18. She is smart and hardworking and LOVES school. Caleb is next. He is 9 and so loving. He works really hard in school and loves baseball. Next is Connor. He is 7 and very advanced in school. He hates doing any school work and has the silliest personality and can light up a room. Connor plans to play professional football for the Arizona Cardinals when he grows up. Moving forward is Keegan. I had the worst pregnancy with him. I had Hyperemisis Gravidum and was on home IV and Zofran for the majority of the pregnancy. He was born healthy and is 4 and a wonderful boy who causes more trouble than necessary (he was recently diagnosed with Autism and ADHD). Lastly is Rhett. He is the baby and loves getting treated like he is. He was born April 5 (I am seriously not changing the months constantly) and LOVES cuddles possibly more than his dad. So that is a bit about me and my family! Subscribe to my blog to read more about my WILD ride!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: